Your replies do make sense to me, I have had this problem with renaming
artifacts, etc but I think to really find all missed changes you also would
need to purge these from your corporate repo.

Okay I have more data on why our CI builds fail.  (I'm prepared for a 'your
doing it wrong' type of answer).

On our CI system we want a complete site report in addition to the regular
clean & deploy goals so our build command is:
mvn clean deploy site-deploy

The problem is the site-deploy.  If we remove this then we get the normal
build process where each module is built, installed and deployed in order
for each module.

When we add the site-deploy it doesn't do this, rather it builds the source
for each module WITHOUT doing an install and/or deploy first.  So the
site-deploy seems to be taking over and saying I need to do my tasks first
then you can do the normal build.

How should I be doing this?  I.e. How can I get the site to be generated and
deployed AFTER the normal clean deploy goals?  I don't want site generation
to be done separately on a different trigger because its important that the
site be based on the artifacts generated during the deploy phase.

Hopefully there is a simple fix for this?

-Dave