You should explain to your manager the costs incurred for using Maven 1.x will be higher because it's harder for our community to support Maven 1.x at this point. There might be a few committers left here who maintain Maven 1.x projects but I would imagine the interest is pretty low here in Maven 1.x. So the burden of fixes to Maven itself when you have problems will probably be yours.

Yours is the first request I've heard to convert from Maven 2.x to 1.x. As such I don't even know if there are any tools around. There might be but I don't recall there being any. Probably easy enough to take on the existing tools and go the other way.