As for mmsc settings, here are mine:

custom-settings = "smsc-on=lynx -dump
'http://localhost:13000/start-smsc?password=bar&smsc=modemsmsc';smsc-off=lynx
-dump
'http://localhost:13000/stop-smsc?password=bar&smsc=modemsmsc';gprs-on=/usr/local/mbuni/sbin/start-mms-gprs;gprs-pid=cat
 /var/run/ppp-mms.pid|head
-1;port=13014;mmsc-url=http://mms.orange.pl;proxy=192.168.6.104:8080;msisdn=0048505505505";

those work well for Orange, and similar ones work with P4.

I use CVS versions for kannel & mbuni (but mbuni recently
advanced to next release, so it's better to start with it).

Also note, that kannel is only relevant if you want to receive
mms messages or send push notifications to mobile phones. For
sending mms messages you don't need running kannel. You only need
it's gwlib to compile mbuni.

I had no chance to play with Huawei, but I can tell that Option
modems work without problems.