I can't say as I have used either, they just came up with some google
searching. I definitely think some research is in order and hopefully
some opinions from the community for any that people have used. I know
that A4J uses some of them.

Perhaps the suggestion for firebug lite may be good. It could be
injected on an as-need basis, and therefore would be faster for users
that already have firebug.

Another sickening thought is to have Trinidad with its own logging
solution, that delegates to something like firebug lite or log4js,
etc. The script could be loaded only when needed. This could be
possibly flagged in the web.xml as a context param (enabled javascript
logging). If the script is not loaded, the Trinidad's API would simply
be a black hole.

Syntax could be something like:
Log.<level>(<obj>)

In this example, Log.error('hello world); would call <Log
library>.<error log method>('hello world');

If logging was turned off (default), Log.error() would have no method
body. This way the extra javascript would simply be a few extra empty
functions.

Just a thought.

-Andrew