Finally it seems to me that the "targets"-feature is only sufficient for the
simplest scenarios. There are too many restrictions:

1) only for a restricted set of attribute names: "action", "actionListener",
"validator", "valueChangeListener"
2) not supported in nested attributes

So, what is the solution in my scenario (I thought it was simple enough): a
composite component that consists of a panel with two buttons and *optional*
actions and actionListeners. I want to use it in the following way:

either 1)

<my:twoButtons action1="..." actionListener1="..." action2="..."
actionListener2="..." />

or 2)

<my:twoButtons2 button1="..." button2="..." /> relying on a button model:

public interface Button
{
  String action();
  void actionListener(ActionEvent e);
}

I tried to solve this problem without tricks like writing own tag handlers
or modifying the facelets view declaration language.

I'd really like to get an answer for this... ;-)