There's definitely value limiting dependencies.   But there's also the
reality that even though MyFaces code doesn't directly use JCL, its
dependencies do, so you have to have it anyway.

The SL4J library can emulate the JCL interface, so here's a way to
support SL4J without adding a dependency for it, if a dependency is
the real concern.   I have to have that emulation jar in my classpath
in any case for the other JCL producers.

Using logback isn't an option for me.   I've read the docs, and it
seems like LevelChangePropagator would do what was advertised.  I
doubt the claim would be made if it were not true.

I'm surprised no other JSF 2 users have commented on how they handle
the JUL logging dependency.