Sorry, I meant that the eclipse formatter plugin is looking for maintainers. If
it’s helpful I’ll try to describe the problem that we are facing.

The development team has a standard IDE, NetBeans, but everyone is free to use
the tools that they are most comfortable. We have already established certain
Java code formatting settings in NetBeans and shared that configuration using
the project settings (nb-configuration.xml) checked into source control.
However, if a developer is using another IDE or editor (e.g. eclipse, vim) to
modify the Java files it is possible that they check-in files that don’t follow
the standard format.

Sometimes, this is caught in code review, but not everyone checks the
indentation very carefully. It would be good if the continuous integration
build would catch bad formatting. It would be great if there was a Maven
command that they could run either before checking-in (ideal) or after the
continuous integration build fails.

Most Maven formatter plugins that I have seen have standardized on the eclipse
java formatter settings and often bundle the eclipse formatter code itself to
perform the formatting. It is quite a painstaking process trying to map
NetBeans formatter settings to the eclipse formatter. We don’t want a NetBeans
user using the standard setup to get tripped up by the formatter process since
they are following the standard setup, which is meant to be streamlined. The
easiest way to guarantee this is to have both the Maven formatter and NetBeans
use the same formatter code and settings.

Cheers,
Chris