On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 at 22:17, Christian Lenz <christian.l...@gmx.net> wrote:
> Maybe reducing the NetCat process or changing it?

OK, so in the interests of [DISCUSS] :-)  I think Chris is right here.
I wasn't able to take part in NetCAT for NB10, but did for NB9, and
that process probably does need to adapt.  We had a conversation a
while ago about quarterly releases time-based releases, but are we a
little in limbo between what used to happen and what should happen
now?

I'm not sure "quality" is the most useful thing to consider here, in
the sense that anyone who likes Release Early, Release Often is going
to give you loads of "evidence" that that leads to better "quality".
:-)  On the other hand, our capacity is important.  I just wonder
whether we should be looking at other projects that are doing this
successfully and what their processes are?

A couple of things based on things I've seen elsewhere that might be
worth considering if we stick with this release model -

* Fix the feature freeze / branch dates for the next 4 releases now.
Maybe 4 weeks after each release.  Keep master stable, and branch then
- anything not ready for master is not a feature for the next release.

* Do a voted-on, public early-access release of the branch maybe 2
weeks after that?  At the moment the NetCAT binaries are not meant to
be distributed outside dev@ and netcat@, but we could make them
public, encourage early adopters to test and report alongside any
NetCAT process.

Best wishes,

Neil