Hi Geertjan,

A use case that you can reproduce with NetBeans 11.0 (Build
incubator-netbeans-release-404-on-20190319)
Java: 1.8.0_172; Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 25.172-b11
Runtime: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 1.8.0_172-b11
System: Windows 10 version 10.0 running on amd64; Cp1252; fr_FR (nb).

Menu File > New Project. Java with Maven and Web Application. Next.

I give a name to the project. Next.

Server Payara 5.192. No choice for Java EE 8. I choose Java EE 7 Web. Click
Finish.

If I want to use a wizard to generate some code:

Right click on the project > New > Entity Classes from Database.

Right click on the project > New > JSF Pages from Entity Classes. Add all the
entity classes. Next.

I choose JSF 2.2 (no "JSF 2.3").

[  Just by the way, at this moment there is a problem if I launch the
application by mistake. NetBeans is stuck for a very long time because Payara
cannot start and it is not possible to cancel quickly the process by clicking
on the square linked to the process at the bottom of the NetBeans window.  ]

If I want to use Java EE 8 instead of Jva EE 7, I must make changes in pom;xml
(which ones exactly? Not so clear) and in web.xml and persistence.xml (change
the versions).

Instead I could use some Maven archetypes as you suggest; I think I will choose
this solution if nothing is changed in NetBeans before my course. I have found
2 archetypes: from Adam Bien and from Philip Riecks.

But with the older versions of NetBeans and Java EE, all was out of the box and
it was a big advantage over other IDEs. It's no longer quite the case today
with NetBeans 11 and Java EE 8. It is the simple explanation of what I said in
my previous message. In my course I have a lot of things to explain in a very
short time and don't want to spend too much time in installation details or on
Maven.

It's good news that Payara will soon be integrated in NetBeans without an
external plugin. Where can I find the elements by Josh Juneau about Java EE 8?
Will they be integrated in the next version of NetBeans? Around what date will
it be ready (to find out if I can wait before preparing my course)?

Thanks for the good work of the whole team working on NetBeans.

Best regards,

Richard