To continue with this (as I've not had any feedback) the .form file seems to
contain the correct character:

        </Component>
        <Component class="javax.swing.JButton" name="btnRow">
          <Properties>
            <Property name="font" type="java.awt.Font"
editor="org.netbeans.beaninfo.editors.FontEditor">
              <Font name="SansSerif" size="12" style="0"/>
            </Property>
            <Property name="text" type="java.lang.String" value="&#x2194;"/>
        THIS IS CORRECT!
            <Property name="toolTipText" type="java.lang.String" value="Confine
selected squares to row"/>
            <Property name="margin" type="java.awt.Insets"
editor="org.netbeans.beaninfo.editors.InsetsEditor">
              <Insets value="[2, 5, 2, 5]"/>
            </Property>
          </Properties>

So there's something wrong in the translation from this and the generated Java.

Peter
mailto:netbe...@ptoye.com
www.ptoye.com

-------------------------

I modified a button to display a character rather than a GIF icon. The
character is a symbol - from the Unicode arrows set \x219x. It displays OK in
the Design (and also Preview) panes (see Fonts1.png) but when the program is
run it displays as a question mark. And if I look at the generated code, the
question mark is there as well (see Fonts2.png).

The character coding for the project is set to UTF-8, so there shouldn't be any
code conversion issues there.

I've looked at the generated code with a hex editor and it's definitely a "?",
the problem isn't just the display font used for the file.

The only slightly odd thing about the project is that it was imported from NB
version 8.

I've tried generating a such simpler example from scratch, but this displays
OK. And the generated code has the correct UTF-8 encoding for the character.

Has anyone any idea what's going on? It seems to be something to do with
converting the form design to Java code, which I don't know anything about.

Thanks in advance,

Peter
mailto:netbe...@ptoye.com
www.ptoye.com