Thank you I'll try this week with InnoSetup.
> I'd be very interested to hear more about the underlying architecture
> in use - I write / maintain a variety of audio and media Java
> libraries as well.I will open source all the infrastructure code. Note that
> it is a 100% Midi based application.

    Le mardi 17 septembre 2019 à 17:53:54 UTC+2, Neil C Smith
<neilcsm...@apache.org> a écrit :

 On Sun, 15 Sep 2019 at 22:06, Jerome Lelasseux
<lelass...@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:
> 1/ bundle a JRE and it must be OpenJDK
> or
> 2/ have the installer check if a JRE is there, and if not, ask user to
> install a JRE on its own (then he can choose Oracle or whatever). I assume
> that after JRE installation my Netbeans app will automatically find this JRE ?

Definitely go with 1!

> InnoSetup is probably be a good idea: I guess it's more powerful and flexible
> than Netbeans installers, but I'm concerned by the time needed to learn yet
> another topic... Does InnoSetup simplifies the "installer signing" ?

If it's any use, my InnoSetup file is here -
https://github.com/praxis-live/praxis-live/blob/master/resources/pl-installer.iss.template
 It's fairly simple, really, and could do more, but does the job.  I
only recently stopped running this manually and templated it for use
with Ant - only replaces ${app.version}

Should be easy enough to adapt and experiment with.  It's more
flexible more easily than the NetBeans installer, and handles things
like in-place upgrades and shortcut icons much more simply.  But the
primary benefit is not having to rely on the embedded JRE to run.  In
fact, I did start looking at the possibility of a NetBeans IDE
installer with it that could offer to download the JDK as part of the
installation process.

> As some of you seem curious, here is a video I just finished today. It's a
> private link for preview only, because web site is not online yet, etc.
> https://youtu.be/v80Wm6joYxs

Looks great!  My own first degree (some time ago) was in music, and I
can think of at least one other person around here who should
appreciate a jazz application on NetBeans platform! :-)

Reminds me a little of Frinika, which at one point had a fork on to
NetBeans RCP.  And there's also Blue of course.

I'd be very interested to hear more about the underlying architecture
in use - I write / maintain a variety of audio and media Java
libraries as well.

Best wishes,

Neil