> On Sep 30, 2019, at 9:55 AM, Emilian Bold <emilian.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Java is no longer an user-facing product, it's middleware.

Okay, that sounds like an improvement from where I am standing, but…  Can
Netbeans help me with that now?

The last time I looked into bundling the JRE with my program, I think it was in
the early release days of Java9 (Netbeans 8.2 was still the IDE of choice).
You could specify such a build, but it required linking the IDE to 3rd party
software.   Also, at the time, it required that you have a development station
for each OS.   You couldn’t make Windows apps on a Mac and visa versa, to say
nothing of the dozen or so flavors of Linux out there.   To make matters worse,
at the time, the required third party software was different for each OS.
There were many competing options for each OS, each with dozens different
options that need to be (a) learned and (b) configured correctly for each of
your development stations.   Finally, creating the installer was a multi-step
process for each OS.   As I said, this was shortly after the release of Java9 -
so it was years ago.

Has the state of the art advanced since that time?    I am thinking maybe a
plugin for Netbeans that allows me to tick off the OS’s I want to support with
a menu option to build all the installers when I am ready to distribute.
Maybe I need a separate installer plugin for each OS that includes binaries of
the JRE for that OS?

And what about the Unix-like OS’s?   I just assumed that if you used unix at
all, then you were smart enough to install the JRE.  But if there /is/ no
public facing JRE, and I need to provide that for them, then wouldn’t I need to
provide a separate installer for each and every Unix-like OS on the market?
There must be close to a dozen by now.   And if I still need a separate
development station for each OS, then it is going to be impractical.