You can run NetBeans on JDK 11 13 or 14 and still be able to work on Java 8 projects., just add the Java 8 platform into Tools > Java Platforms.

On 6/26/20 6:36 AM, Jeff wrote:
I'm running netbeans 11.3 or 12.0 but still using Oracle Java 8.  I'll try upgrading to a newer open JDK version since we're going to head that direction anyway soon.

I'll try the other suggestions if that doesn't work but I'd prefer not to hard code anything if possible since I connect various external displays of varying sizes as well and hard coding any settings including forcing the font size doesn't translate automatically with other displays.