I have hdpi working ok on Linux with jdk 11 and netbeans 12. The only issue
I have is the icons are small and the splash screen is small. I believe
there is a Jira for the icons (migrate to SVG ones)

I use the flatui theme, the theme you use is pretty important.

FlatUI does not need any special OS settings to work

Nimbus and Metal both need an OS settings to trigger any scaling. On Linux
you can set the gtk scale env variable and it will work although you will
need to adjust the font size as TTF fonts are typically hard coded to 96dpi
so won't change automatically with hdpi monitor.