I suggest you take Ernie's suggestion to get started (use the fxml
archtype).  You can build and run your application in NB.  The first thing
to do after creating the project is edit the POM to update to newer
versions of Maven artifacts.  Then, when you wish to run your application
outside NB you will have to install JavaFX and set the module path per the
document you linked in your post.  I think I even saw a post from Geertjan
a few weeks ago where he used jlink (from within NB) to build a fat jar
that included all the FX modules to run your app.  When jpackager hits the
JDK perhaps deployments of JavaFX will get easier -- it's already worth the
additional effort.  <TODO>I need to find Geertjan's jlink demo again and do
some testing.</TODO>