You'll also have to update the plugins.  i.e. change the compiler plugin to
3.8.1 and any others that have a newer version available.  Following
section of my POM.

            <plugin>
                <version>3.8.1</version>
                <configuration>
                    <release>13</release>
                    <debug>false</debug>
                    <showDeprecation>true</showDeprecation>
                </configuration>
                <dependencies>
                    <dependency>
                        <groupId>org.ow2.asm</groupId>
                        <artifactId>asm</artifactId>
                        <version>7.0</version> <!-- Use newer version of
ASM -->
                    </dependency>
                </dependencies>
            </plugin>