Weirdly, this does not seem to be correct.  It appears the file permissions don't matter.  From that Superuser question I alluded to earlier:

"Because file permissions don't matter, it is an operating system protected area. You need to copy out and back in, and OK the UAC prompt. If you have disabled UAC then re-enable it."

Link:

https://superuser.com/questions/1608045/how-to-modify-read-only-file-on-windows-10

So at least one Windows maven seems to think that the effective permissions don't matter.  I think that's very odd, but it appears to be true.