On Wed, 21 Apr 2021 at 06:32, Sean Carrick <s...@pekinsoft.com> wrote:

> Actually, I have always been of the philosophy that "if it ain't broke,
> don't fix it." This seems to be a philosophy lost in today's modern world.
> Your comments show your bias toward always being on the bleeding edge of
> technology. Personally, I do not care what anyone chooses to use for a
> build tool or a programming language. What gets to me is that someone (or
> group of someones) somewhere decides that a certain technology is "too
> old", so they are wanting to kill it. It does not seem to matter that there
> are hundreds, thousands, or millions of people who use that specific
> technology throughout the world. They just decide it needs to be killed and
> everyone should just get on-board with their decision.

Ant may not be broken but when something does go wrong it's almost
impossible to debug. That said, it may be the obscure Netbeans
implementation that is the issue, not Ant itself.

Another issue is that you can't keep it in version control and deploy to
multiple team members very easily. Minor filesystem differences make that
sort of thing impossible to do out of the box.

Searching out the correct version of a library when spinning up someone
elses project is also ridicuiously difficult. Especially if the author
included sim links instead of the actually jar name with the version in it.

Being old school myself I remember getting a coffee while my 486 booted so
as long as I expect Maven to take a while then it isn't an issue, not
knowing you will need to wait is a bit disconcerting.

All that said, I'm not actually advocating for Maven, I'm just at the
"anything but Ant" point of my life. The hours I've spent dealing with that
obscure crap are hours I can't get back.

Wayne