> On Feb 26, 2023, at 7:14 AM, Thomas Kellerer <sham...@gmx.net> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to "migrate" an old NetBeans platform application that I created
> with NetBeans 8.0 about 10 years ago
>
> I decided to create a new NetBeans platform application from scratch as there
> is a lot of stuff I would do differently today.
>
> However, I am not sure if I should go for Maven or Ant as the basis for my
> new application.
>
> What is the recommendation from the NetBeans team for a new platform project?
>
> I am using Java 17 if that matters.

For any Java project (my opinion, based on experience with all three options.):

Prefer Maven over Ant.
Prefer Gradle over Maven.

There are exceptions and how well you know each tool will certainly influence
the order that works for you.

I don’t think Gradle is an option for a NetBeans Platform project.  So Maven is
the best choice in this situation.

I don’t think there is a case where I would ever choose to create a new
Ant-based project these days.  It is more flexible than Maven, but far more
awkward to work with than Gradle.  IMO it should probably be hidden as a legacy
option in the New Project dialog.

Scott