On Sun, 26 Feb 2023 at 15:04, Thomas Kellerer <sham...@gmx.net> wrote:
> Scott Palmer schrieb am 26.02.2023 um 15:47:
> > I don’t think there is a case where I would ever choose to create a
> > new Ant-based project these days.  It is more flexible than Maven,
> > but far more awkward to work with than Gradle.  IMO it should
> > probably be hidden as a legacy option in the New Project dialog.

It was deliberately moved down the list of build options in the
dialog.  For  the platform there are still some benefits.

> Maven is fine for me (I loathe Gradle)

:-)  Gradle is just Ant with slightly better syntax ...

> but seeing that NetBeans itself still uses Ant I was wondering
> if Ant was a more stable/safe approach for a NetBeans RCP application.

I would choose Maven out of preference for almost anything, but at the
moment I'm still using Ant for the platform.  Either should be stable
and safe options.  It may depend how much you want to keep to the
standard layout (my application has to hack around the platform
structure a bit) or run custom tasks.  The one other benefit of the
Ant build is the platform download, which will pick up changes in the
update centre, which are not always released via Maven.

My 2c.

Best wishes,

Neil