On 20.12.23 01:30, Judi Rastall wrote:

If I may introduce myself: I am a hobbyist. I am teaching myself Java through reading books and other online sources...

cool! This is probably one of the best ways how to get into programming. Find something you want to write and then try to get there somehow with the help of books/guides etc.

 ... I didn't realise that the professional development community had moved on and was now plugged into Oracle and Java.net which seem to be under totally different care and maintenance.

NetBeans has also a JDK downloader integrated, if you want to see all the different versions and vendors you can access it under:

Tools -> Java Platforms -> Add Platform -> Download OpenJDK

So it seems that I need to refocus my attention to JDK21 from Oracle and cross my fingers and hope that my current project survives the sudden upgrade.

If you encounter problems, upgrade in steps, 8->11->17->21. But most programs will work fine on 21 if you don't have too many trouble making dependencies.

best regards,

-mbien

Regards,

Judi Rastall