On 01.03.24 17:42, Ulf Zibis wrote:

Am 01.03.24 um 15:24 schrieb Michael Bien:

  - The "force plugin install into shared directories" is not a good idea
Why is it provided?

For historic reasons and to solve some edge cases. I vaguely remember using this option for a native lib wrapper module in early days, since the JVM can load the same native lib only once without causing trouble. So by adding the module to the platform/IDE made sure that it was in front of the class path and it wasn't loaded twice. But today you would use other tricks to achieve something similar.

But its not there to encourage running NB with root rights.

I prefer to install binaries under binaries locations, which is /usr/lib here. /home is for data and configs. Helps to minimize backup footprint an allows all users to profit from the installed binaries.
(esp with root rights)
Under which conditions it is possible to install in shared directories without root rights?

e.g by launching nb from the platform independent zip.

but as mentioned before: nb-javac is part of NetBeans - it does not need to be installed since it is already there. A fresh NetBeans distribution with new user config not finding it would indicate some other issue, e.g corrupted installation or some problems with access rights etc - I don't know.

-mbien