I understand the good intentions but have to disagree that you should allow a
bug just because glassfish also allows it.  At what point do you look at a
container and say, they allow this therefore I should also allow it so its
easier for them to migrate to my container?  Why select only glassfish?
What about jboss, weblogic, webspere etc.?

I think a clearly visible error message that exactly describes the problem
(and recommends using @LocalBean instead as David mentioned) is much more
preferable.  The problem with allowing it is that you can then end up
encouraging wrong programming practice for the sake of making people's lives
easier when migrating non-compliant apps from glassfish to tomee.

Maybe creating a "Migrating Your App from Glassfish to Tomee" webpage would
be helpful.