OK. I needed two SelectFeature objects attached to the same layer - one to
handle mouseover events, the other to handle clicks. In the latter I assign
to featurehighlighted the function I originally wanted to call in
map.events.register("click", ...).

Here's a snippet, for what it's worth:

    var overCtrl = new OpenLayers.Control.SelectFeature(sw_vector, {
        hover: true,
        highlightOnly: true,
        renderIntent: "transparent",
        eventListeners: {
           beforefeaturehighlighted: showTooltip,
           featurehighlighted: showTooltip,
           featureunhighlighted: showTooltip
        }
    });

    var clickCtrl = new OpenLayers.Control.SelectFeature(sw_vector, {
      renderIntent: "transparent",
      eventListeners: {
         featurehighlighted: fireWfsRequest
      }