From: felmon davis [mailto:moelmoel2...@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Felmon Davis
Sent: Wednesday, January 08, 2014 1:04 AM
To: users@openoffice.apache.org
Subject: RE: Being Good, was: RE: Reading and Exporting
spreadsheets--another commentary

On Tue, 7 Jan 2014, Think wrote:

> And again, we have the concept of "ad hominem." Attacking me voids
> your argument. This is not about me. This is about the behavior of
> those who post on this listserv.

minor correction: attacking a person does not void an argument.
suppose I say, "p implies q, q implies r, therefore p implies r, you
fool!" the argument is valid (not 'void') but I have also attacked a
person.

an 'ad hominem argument' is the fallacy of attempting to invalidate a
position because of some feature of the person holding the argument,
"ah, you only say that because you're a republican!" is an ad hominem
fallacy.

impoliteness does not 'void' arguments.

F.

--
Felmon Davis

I've enjoyed just about as much of this as I can stand.

---
is active.