John, have you tried changing magnification through the Zoom slider at the bottom right corner of the OpenOffice screen? That should adjust the font size on your screen, till it's big enough for you to see.

Sorry I can't help with your other issue. I assume you have already made certain you are using Apache OpenOffice, and not another application with a similar name?

marina
[message also sent to kc0...@centurytel.net (John W. Smith)]