This follows up on my earlier inquiry about the message I was getting every time I tried to start Open Office, which referred to a document recovery failure. It came about as a result of a crash, and the error reporting feature apparently doesn't work. In doing a little research, I found that it was necessary to change my user profile. Uninstalling and reinstalling wouldn't have worked. The article I found is at

https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?p=58403#p58403

Look under the title "Setting the user profile."

I've been able to successfully fix the problem. What I don't know is whether I should delete the file now named user.old . And I don't know if I should try copying sub folders into the new User folder to see which one was causing the problem. Maybe I'll leave well enough alone for now.

John