On Sun, 20 Dec 2015 15:20:25 -0500
Linda Hull <chalcedony6...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have the same problem but it's not going away.
>
> In Windows 7 and OpenOffice 4.1.1.
>

> My laptop has been shutting itself down due to overheating. I want to open
> my OpenOffice files, however - I've clicked on 'open office writer' - and
> it gives me the Recovery screen, but it struggles to open things and
> freezes. Then I've used Task Manager,  and tried to open it again, three
> times now, and it's still locking up, with the white screen.
>
> Got ideas?
>
> Linda

If your laptop has been shutting down unexpectedly there are possibly left-over
OpenOffice processes running; these can remain even after a computer restart.
So start up TaskManager and kill any soffice (note: soffice, with a leading 's')
processes shown as running on TaskManager's Processes tab.

Then, because the OpenOffice user profile may be damaged, continue by deleting
or renaming your OpenOffice User profile.  As you are using Windows do this by:
Close OpenOffice and the Quickstarter. Open File Explorer. Copy and paste
%appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the File Explorer Address Bar and press Enter. Rename
the "user" folder. Start OpenOffice.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>