On 11/25/2016 12:17 AM, John Hart wrote:
On 11/23/2016 4:36 PM, Doug wrote:
Take "extraordinary"--and the line I quoted says this is a PROBLEM known for some time; therefore presumably there is a way to solve it but nobody has bothered. And yes, I am careful, but nobody's perfect. OTOH, I don't know why anyone would shut off their computer while in the middle of using a word processor. And anyone who is using a computer for serious business has an UPS--uninteruptable power supply.

--doug
I use an editor written twenty years ago for technical work.
It automatically saves what you're working on every five minutes
in a scratch file so if something goes wrong, you won't loose
your changes. Another feature it has, when a file is changed, it
automatically creates a backup, so even if the scratch file
gets corrupted, the original isn't wiped out. These are simple
things to implement, and with millions of OO users, would save a
lot of people a lot of grief. A feature to protect user files
could be added in less time than has been spent chastising
users for not learning how to do backups.

jrh

That sounds like a good editor to use. what's the name of it, and what OS does it work on?

--doug