On 11/25/2016 2:00 AM, Brian Barker wrote:
I'm sure implementing the facilities actually took far longer than it took you to complain - falsely - that they are not there, in fact. But it was done nevertheless. And you cannot write into an application such as OpenOffice total protection against user error, hardware faults, or operating system glitches.
I'm not complaining, just observing, and Thank you for making the point
more clearly. It appears all that's necessary is to make the features
be the default.

I looked in a directory of OO files I've been editing, and there are
no backup files, so automatic backups aren't the default.
After an upgrade, many users have a problem with the profile, and the
recommended solution is to reset it, which would most likely turn off
automatic backups.

Automatic saving of a file every 'n' minutes, and creating an automatic backup file aren't the same thing. If automatic saving uses the same file
name, it could be destructive, if it uses a different file name, and the
program or system crashes, how does one find the file?

If there's a crash protection file, why would the user be required to
turn it on? When you restart OO after a crash, does it ask if you want
to recover the file? When is the crash protection file deleted?

jrh