Le 25/11/2016 à 10:00, Brian Barker a écrit :
At 23:17 24/11/2016 -0700, John Hart wrote:
I use an editor written twenty years ago for technical work. It automatically
saves what you're working on every five minutes in a scratch file so if
something goes wrong, you won't lose your changes.

You mean just like OpenOffice does? See Tools | Options... | Load/Save |
General | Save | Save AutoRecovery Information every ... Minutes.
However, it does not prevent the loss with the pound sign.
In the dozens of cases I've seen in the forums for example, the AutoRecovery
feature has never been of any help.
Are the temporary files deleted before the final file is actually written? That
would be a something to think again.

Another feature it has, when a file is changed, it automatically creates a
backup, so even if the scratch file gets corrupted, the original isn't wiped
out.

You mean just like OpenOffice does? See Tools | Options... | Load/Save |
General | Save | Always create a backup copy, as well as Tools | Options... |
OpenOffice | Paths | Backups.
However, this feature is not activated by default. I can understand there is a
rationale behind that. Maybe for confidentiality since it leaves a copy of the
file in the user profile without the user knowing it automatically.
And again, it has never helped.

These are simple things to implement, and with millions of OO users, would save
a lot of people a lot of grief.

They would - and they already do! You can implement things, but you cannot
force people to learn about the software - to read the help text or the
documentation or to experiment with settings so that they actually know the
facilities are there.
You cannot expect users to learn software in fear that it destroys their file.
OK, there are safety measures to be taken for general purpose (HD crash, OS
crash, virus, ...). But the way AOO behaves in such case is quite nasty: not
only you lose the version you've just worked on but you lose the original file
also, thus you lose everything concerning that file.
I've never experienced this issue myself (using OOo/AOO since 2006 on a daily
basis) but if I were to lose a file this way, I would seriously reconsider.

A feature to protect user files could be added in less time than has been spent
chastising users for not learning how to do backups.

I'm sure implementing the facilities actually took far longer than it took you
to complain - falsely - that they are not there, in fact. But it was done
nevertheless. And you cannot write into an application such as OpenOffice total
protection against user error, hardware faults, or operating system glitches.
Well, could a dev explain what is the save process? I know this is the users
list but I've raised this problem in the past on the dev ML and nothing came
out of it.
I think this started to occur with OOo 2.3 or something like that, I remember
having seen such problems suddenly. It may be linked to a code change at some
point.

You don't help others by broadcasting false information: you merely show your
unfamiliarity with the product.
In my case, I think I can say that I know the product.
And I've to admit that this issue is really troublesome.

For the record if you want to see the list of the cases I've recorded:
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17677#p81363

Hagar