On 02/06/2017 11:19 AM, John Gregson wrote:
What is the difference between Open Office and Libre office?

J. Gregson
jfgreg...@shaw.ca

J.
This is an open question without knowing what you are specifically looking for. Both OpenOffice (AOO) and LibreOffice (LO) are very similar. That is because they both came from the same code base years ago when Sun Microsystems gave their OpenOffice code to Apache (AOO) and the Open Document Foundation (LO). At the time, both organizations had an agreement to share code changes with each other. However, not too long afterward, there was some sort of rift and that agreement was broken to some extent. As a result, both programs started to drift away from each other as far as features go. They both still are file-compatible with the Open Document standards and can share documents between them without much problem.

That is the overview, but I have some observations from my experience which may be of help understanding the differences from my point of view. I have both AOO and LO installed in my Slackware Linux system and use both, mainly because one does not have a feature I need and the other does. So I use the best tool for the job I have to do.

1. AOO may not be as feature-rich (some would call it feature bloat) as
   LO, but what features are there seem to be a bit more stable than
   LO.  This is more of a feeling than a hard fact and I cannot point
   to any specific feature that supports it.

2. AOO does not include a database report generator, which is crucial
   to my work.  You can create the database, but there is no way in AOO
   to print it out nicely.  LO does include a report generator and it
   works fine.

3. LO does not restore a session properly, where AOO does.
   I like to keep several oft-used files open all the time.  I do not
   close these files before I shut down.  I expect these files to be
   reopened at startup the next time I use the system, so I don't have
   to manually open them all.  AOO does this properly. LO, from version
   4.x on, does not.

So, those are my observations. None of these observations keep me from using either one to do useful work. As I said above, I use the best tool for the job.

HTH.
Girvin Herr