@Girvin,
The important thing is to get the work done; the tool is secondary. I agree
with your decision, and you are correct: I once used NeoOffice to construct an
entire six-page form (FNMA1004) for real estate appraisals that has a couple of
hundred blanks to fill and boxes to check, one page with an imbedded
spreadsheet. It worked fine, blood loss was manageable and the scars are almost
invisible now :-)

@Julian,
I thought about using that iWork suite, and I have it. About all the activity
it gets is regular updates in the background. The problem is that I write
appraisal reports that run 100-200 pages long. They’re heavily
cross-referenced, which can be done with ease in AOO and LO, but not easily if
at all in Pages. The rest would work OK, but Pages lacks user fields, so when I
type something that appears at several places in the report (e.g., report
date), I type that one time and it propagates to the other fields in the
report. Clients aren’t ever satisfied, and always want this or that included or
left out, necessitating a change in report date. In Neo, I just enter the new
date and I *know* it’s changed properly in all the places it is used.

The user field issue might be worked around by dropping in single cells from a
spreadsheet, but like Girvin, I have a work flow that I’m happy with and would
be loath to change.

Jim Plante