Oh! Top is a program that shows you process activity in a terminal
window. Simply open a term and enter top on the commandline. Make
certain that you have an active OOo session. With activity it should
show up near the top of the active area and you should be able to copy
to the end of the soffice.bin line and paste it into a message to users.
I have a feeling that all is okay but you are misreading the data you
are quoting. I regularly open the user_guide.sxw to update it and in
1.1.x it gives the results I posted and the file is over 4Mb.

I'm new to linux so still working things out...

Got it now - is this what you wanted? That's with OOo open, blank new file. It does look pretty similar to the one you quoted - so am i misunderstanding something?

6417 dulithgo 15 0 282m 56m 38m S 1.0 11.2 0:05.17 soffice.bin