Barbara Duprey wrote:

> All my mail goes out over the same SMTP server, the one for onr.com,
> but that doesn't stop Thunderbird from requiring the password of the
> specific account of the identity I'm using as the message author. If I
> supply my onr.com password for a different identity, the send fails.
>
> Hmm. Just tried the same test again, and this time I wasn't asked for
> a password! The message was sent from "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" to
> "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" and received fine. But when I tried this earlier
> (setting up a gmail identity and using it to send a message), the
> password was requested and the send failed. I'm really confused!

I just tried a couple of experiments.  The first, I sent an email to
myself on my main account, using an account I haven't used in months.
That one went through, via my main ISP's SMTP server.  I was not asked
for a password.

I then created a bogus account, using the name "test" on the same ISP as
the first test.  When I tried to send the main ISP's SMTP server
rejected it, saying the account couldn't be verified.  So it would
appear this method would at least require a valid account somewhere.