Sorry -- forgot to CC.

greg ward wrote:
Hi Harold, thanks for your email. My frustration at being a "not to literate" computer user came out in that email of mine. Firstly the program I received was a download, not a CD. But again, thats not a big deal at all. As you said, the US$11 I paid was a small amount and the system is worth it regardless of where I got it from. My frustrations came about when I received documents from friends and they downloaded with the Microsoft office "trial" program that came with my computer. No matter how much I searched the "Open Office" help section, I could not discover how to have my documents automaticly open with "Open Office". And I certainly did find the help section was a bit heavy and hard to negotiate. Any I will work it out. Forgive my frustration, I WILL get there. Regards, G (Greg) Ward. Todays Quote: Tough times don"t last...tough people do.

<snip>

It sounds as if what you're after is to have the "file associations" set to use Writer, Calc, and Impress rather than Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. You wouldn't find that in the OpenOffice.org help, because it's an operating system function, not part of any application. For the whole story, check your operating system help. But you can generally right-click on the file, choose Open With, and browse to the program you want (selecting to always use this program, if the option is available). During installation, you had the option of making OOo the default file association, and maybe you did that, but your email program might maintain its own associations for attachments.