I'm about to give up.

I have OOo 2.4.1 working fine in Ubuntu Intrepid x86_64. I have
installed 3.0 by downloading the tarball, extracting it
to /home/jjj/Software/OOo/, then doing "sudo dpkg -i /home/Software/OOo
*.deb." This installs all the packages except the one
in /home/Software/OOo/desktop-integration. I can't find the source
where I read it, but if you install the desktop integration .deb it
messes something up. Can't remember what.

OOo 3.0 runs fine except for the following:

1) I have to click to run OOo Writer (or any other module), nothing
happens, then I have to click it again to actually launch it.

2) Closing the document closes the entire application. This may be
because I only lauch the specific module (.e.g., Writer), not the main
splash screen. I do so because the splash screen is annoying and
useless. I use Writer almost always, and use the other modules one time
out of 500.

3) it crashes randomly.

4) I cannot install any extensions because clicking on Tools >
Extensions Manager crashes OOo.

Note that this is an additional install of 3.0. It is not an upgrade
replacing 2.4.1. OOo 2.4.1 is still installed, and I dare not uninstall
it considering the instability and bugs in 3.0.

I'd be happy to hear any suggestions.