On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 13:59:26 -0800
NoOp <gl...@sbcglobal.net> dijo:

> Let's start over to see if we can get you back on track. *Nothing below
> will have any effect on your exisiting 2.4.1 installation.*
>
> Uninstall 3.0.
>
> Note: We'll backup your OOo 3.0 profile so that you can still use it
> with the reinstall. However, if OOo 3.0 is still crashing afterwards,
> then I'd delete ~/.openoffice.org2 and start with a fresh profile.
>
> 1. In Synaptic search for 'ooo'. Click the 'S' column header (S Package
> Installed Version). That will bring the 'installed' packages to the top
> (green boxes filled in). Click on the first 3.0 package (oobasis3.0...
> is most likely), hold the Shift key down and scroll down to the last 3.0
> package & click it. That will select all of the install 3.0 packages.
> Right-click and "Mark for complete removal". Click Apply and when
> finished exit Synaptic.
>
> 2. Open a terminal and backup your .openoffice.org files:
>
> cp -r ~/.openoffice.org ~/x-.openoffice.org-x
>
> [that makes a copy of your 2.4.1 profile]
>
> cp -r ~/.openoffice.org2 ~/x-.openoffice.org2-x
>
> [that makes a copy of your 3.0 profile]
>
> gksu nautilus
>
> [that opens nautilus in superuser mode]
>
> 3. In superuser mode of Nautilus, go to the /opt folder (File System)
> and delete /opt/openoffice.org and /opt/openoffice.org3. Both of those
> folders are for 3.0. If you have any other OOo folders (example:
> /ooo-dev /ooo-dev3) delete those as well.
>
> Exit the superuser mode of Nautilus.
>
> 4. Return to the terminal and cd to where the OOo 3.0 deb files are and
> reinstall:
>
> cd ~/jjj/Software/OOo/DEBS/
> sudo dpkg -i *.deb
>
> Now go to "2 Creating A Launcher" in
> http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-install-openoffice-3.0.0-on-ubuntu-8.04
> and create a simple menu launcher for OOo 3.0. Test.

Thanks for the detailed instructions. I followed them to the letter.
When I used the soffice launcher that I created a window popped up
telling me that I should file an error report with OOo. I told it to
skip the report. It then displayed the splash screen. I clicked to open
a Writer document, whereupon it crashed completely.

That is exactly the state it was in before I purged everything and
reinstalled with your instructions.

Since I had the backups of the config files I decided to
rename .openoffice.org2 just to see if the config file is the source of
the trouble. Supposedly it will generate a new one. However, when I
relaunched it I couldn't get it to stay up long enough to create a new
config file.

So then I relaunched it with the intent of following through with the
error report instead of skipping it. I did so and the report was sent
off. This left me with the splash screen again. But instead of
immediately opening a Writer document I exited the program. My plan was
to clear out the error status. After closing it down I relaunched it.
My plan worked - the splash screen came up without the error message. I
clicked to open a Writer document, and it crashed again.

At this point I can't even launch it.