On 12/17/2008 01:06 PM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 10:32:56 -0800
> NoOp <gl...@sbcglobal.net> dijo:
>
>> On 12/17/2008 12:33 AM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
>> > I'm about to give up.
>> [snip]
>> >
>> > Note that this is an additional install of 3.0. It is not an upgrade
>> > replacing 2.4.1. OOo 2.4.1 is still installed, and I dare not uninstall
>> > it considering the instability and bugs in 3.0.
>> >
>> > I'd be happy to hear any suggestions.
>>
>> http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-install-openoffice-3.0.0-on-ubuntu-8.04
>>
>> Note:
>> <quote>
>> This guide shows how you can install the new OpenOffice 3.0.0 office
>> suite on your Ubuntu 8.04 desktop. Your current OpenOffice installation
>> will not be removed unless you uninstall it with Synaptic or on the
>> command line, so you can run both versions in parallel if you like.
>> </quote>
>>
>> Don't uninstall 2.4.1. After "sudo dpkg -i *.deb" skip directly to
>> "2 Creating A Launcher". The instructions before that are only if you
>> have uninstalled (U)OOo.
>>
>> Note that there are 2 pages of instructions.
>
> Those are the instructions I followed in order to install OOo 3.0,
> leaving 2.4.1 installed as well. The dpkg command executed without
> error, except that no launch entries were created. But those were easy
> to create manually.
>
> I think some of my problems are due to the fact that I have been
> launching Writer directly without launching the splash screen first.
>
> Other problems may be due to the fact that you cannot install the Gnome
> desktop integration package unless you uninstall 2.4.1.
>
> Lately I have been starting it with the splash screen first, then
> Writer, but it still crashes hourly. When I restart it sometimes it
> cannot even recover the document. That is, if I tell it to recover the
> document it just crashes trying to recover it.
>
> I'm beginning to see why Ubuntu creates an Ubuntuized version before
> they put it in the repositories.

If you had any previous 3.x versions installed, purge before you install
the regular 3.0.

Let's start over to see if we can get you back on track. *Nothing below
will have any effect on your exisiting 2.4.1 installation.*

Uninstall 3.0.

Note: We'll backup your OOo 3.0 profile so that you can still use it
with the reinstall. However, if OOo 3.0 is still crashing afterwards,
then I'd delete ~/.openoffice.org2 and start with a fresh profile.

1. In Synaptic search for 'ooo'. Click the 'S' column header (S Package
Installed Version). That will bring the 'installed' packages to the top
(green boxes filled in). Click on the first 3.0 package (oobasis3.0...
is most likely), hold the Shift key down and scroll down to the last 3.0
package & click it. That will select all of the install 3.0 packages.
Right-click and "Mark for complete removal". Click Apply and when
finished exit Synaptic.

2. Open a terminal and backup your .openoffice.org files:

cp -r ~/.openoffice.org ~/x-.openoffice.org-x

[that makes a copy of your 2.4.1 profile]

cp -r ~/.openoffice.org2 ~/x-.openoffice.org2-x

[that makes a copy of your 3.0 profile]

gksu nautilus

[that opens nautilus in superuser mode]

3. In superuser mode of Nautilus, go to the /opt folder (File System)
and delete /opt/openoffice.org and /opt/openoffice.org3. Both of those
folders are for 3.0. If you have any other OOo folders (example:
/ooo-dev /ooo-dev3) delete those as well.

Exit the superuser mode of Nautilus.

4. Return to the terminal and cd to where the OOo 3.0 deb files are and
reinstall:

cd ~/jjj/Software/OOo/DEBS/
sudo dpkg -i *.deb

Now go to "2 Creating A Launcher" in
http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-install-openoffice-3.0.0-on-ubuntu-8.04
and create a simple menu launcher for OOo 3.0. Test.