Twayne wrote:
<<SNIP>>
Attached is a #10 size envelope that works for me.  I do not remember
where I first got it from.

Joe Conner, Poulsbo, WA USA

Hi Joe Conner,

I appreciate your placing said envelope in the open; I'm always on the lookout for better methodologies than my own(such as they are<g>).

Please don't take any offense at this because I mean none and am simply inquiring, hopefully to further my own knowledge. Here's the crux of the matter: It won't work for me.

If my printer were wide enough to accept an envelope long side first, I think it would work fine but as most printers will require the short side first, as mine doesn, I can't get it to work regardless of whether I modify the envelope and/or the printer settings. What printer did you design it for? I am using an HP Color Laerjet CP2250n. IMO, so far for me, the easiest way to design #10 or any longer than the printer feed is wide, I stick to Portrait mode and simply print vertically on the paper with the envelope centered. I put a temporary border on the envelope so I can see where its edges are on the printout, and when it's right, then I reset the width to 9.25 inches (technically 9.13 I think), try another test, and the drop in an actual envelope. That way I can print without messing around with any printer settings; everything is strictly in OO.o (version 3).

Might you have any suggestions? Perhaps I'm missing something pretty simple/obvious.

Initially I didn't allow macros to run and wondered if that was the problem, so I re-opened it and allowed macros to run that time, but it was no help; no change from without them. Did a machine Restart, repeated; same results. I did the Restart because my PC runs pretty much 24/7 and sometimes odd little problems like this are fixed with an occasional Restart, but not this time. Taking a look at the macro, it revealed an error message that may or may not be meaningful: "Private Function Replace(Source As String, Search As String, NewPart As String)"

I quit at that point; don't have enough coffee in the coffers yet<g>, and left it for later. Besides, I'm not fluent in VBA, really.

If you wish, I can attach what I'm using as a #10 envelope for this printer; just ask. I have one for this printer and another for an Epson Colorjet C88+. They are 2 different templates because they work for different printers. The problem with anything I've come up with so far is creating anything that is in any way "global" for the various printers that exist. IMO the ability to print envelopes shouldn't be this much of a hassle, especially when it's based on the ease and near perfection that the "nameless one" does the same tasks.

Thanks for your post, and I hope it helps most people! I'm only saying it didn't work out in my case, so I figured I'd see what you might have to say further on the subject. It's a true annoyance, IMO and one I'd really like to overcome.
I use an HP LaserJet 1100 for printing. However, the envelope format I sent is not tagged to any particular printer. That is set by your printer settings. If your printer is not wide enough for a #10 envelope then insert the envelope in on its end, and print in Landscape.

Check out the following:
http://documentation.openoffice.org/HOW_TO/word_processing/Howto-printing-envelopes-diagnostics.html#0.Printing%20Envelopes%20Diagnostics%20for%20OpenOffice.Org%20-|outline

and also:http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOoAuthors_User_Manual/Writer_Guide/Printing_envelopes and my personal favorite: http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid39_gci1146815,00.html but to get to the meat you must first wade through the commercial advertisement. The site has solid info however.

The macro is not the problem, as it runs fine on OOo2.4.1 and previous. There is a bug report Issue 94291 about this.