2009/3/3 Jean Hollis Weber <jeanwe...@gmail.com>

> M Henri Day wrote:
>
>> At the bottom of Writer's window is a sort of tool bar. The 3rd button
>>> from
>>> the left shows the current language. Optionally select a section of text.
>>> Click on this button. Follow your nose ...
>>>
>>> NB This is true on Windows. I can't confirm it for Mac or *nix. It has
>>> been
>>> true since *about* v2.4
>>>

>>  --
>>> Harold Fuchs
>>> London, England
>>>

>> Thanks, Harald ! I do, indeed, now see a language box in the status bar in
>> Writer on my Ubuntu system. Unfortunately, when I click it, the only
>> language alternatives I see are the default «English (USA)» and «Swedish
>> (Sweden)», which do not suffice for my needs. How can I add other
>> languages
>> here, so that I have several alternatives from which to choose ?...
>>

> Install the dictionaries for the languages you want, and the languages will
> appear on that list.

Errrm. Perhaps this is true in v3.x but it isn't on my Win XP 2.4.1 system.
You have to click the More button within the menu obtained from that
"language box". Then you are offered a list of languages from within the
usual Format>Character menu. Choosing a language from this list adds it to
the "language box" list so it appears the next time you click the button.

<snip>

--
Harold Fuchs
London, England