Barbara Duprey wrote:
Gordon wrote:
Ugly Me wrote:
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gregory L. Forster" <gforst.1...@sbcglobal.net>
To: <users@openoffice.org>
Sent: Saturday, March 07, 2009 5:19 PM
Subject: Re: [users] Re: ver 3 is rubbish.

WOW! I tweaked up the memory as suggested:
Use for OpenOffice.org - 256mb
Memory per object - 128 mb

OpenOffice really sizzles now. I have an AMD Athlon X2 dual core 64bit
CPU at 2.6 Ghz with 4Gig memory and WinXP Pro SP3.  I have to try that
on my Ubuntu machine (1.6Gig Celeron with 512Meg)

To think that an old geezer like me felt I was really racing along when I
upgraded my 16K 6502-based machine to 64K.
Times sure change, young feller.

Ah! Floppy A and B.....

These young whippers -- the Apple II+ that was my first PC, in 1978, loaded and saved only with a tape recorder! Balancing the volumes for the channels was quite a challenge. The mainframes I was working on were better, but the speed and capacity were laughable compared to the cheapest PDA today.
Well dang! You got me beat.

In 1979, I used a TRS 80 to learn, then teach Z80 assembly language. I recall it having more memory than the Wikipedia article says. I remember it having 32K RAM and two 5 1/4 inch drives.

Two years later I bought an Apple ][+ with 64K and the USD Pascal Language system to take with me to the University of Tennessee, for my retread program to retread from Math to CS there. It turned out to be be the single best purchase of my career. I did my compiler construction programming in Apple Pascal, and the Pascal System editor to type my papers. Formatting, of course, was minimal. I used the Hayes *Micromodem II *to connect to the University mainframe to do homework in the IBM assembly language course.

The Apple ][ was an interesting, well designed and astonishingly powerful little computer. It made excellent use of its resources. I think Woz was the designer, and Jobs was the business brains, but Jobs seems to have plenty of hardware and software sense too.

Warmest Regards
David Teague