Thanks for this - the Windows memory settings below make it quick to load on Win XP too.

----- Original Message ----- From: "David B Teague" <davidbtea...@verizon.net>
To: <users@openoffice.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 05, 2009 2:46 PM
Subject: Re: [users] Re: ver 3 is rubbish.

Gordon wrote:
David B Teague wrote:

OO.o 3.0.0 was slow on startup, and 3.0.1 is also slow to start, slower than 2.4, even with the "QuickStarter" --

Have you tweaked the memory settings in Tools-Options?
3.01 starts as fast if not faster here than Office 2007 on Vista...
The behavior is very different, right now, from the immediate past. If I right click quick starter and select new text document, starting is nearly instant. If I double click a document, it starts very quickly.

I emphasize that this has NOT been my experience, and I cannot point to changes that might affect the loading time. I'll see how things go.

The Tools | Options | OpenOffice.org > Memory settings are exactly as they were when I installed OO.o 3.0.1:

Number of steps 100
Graphics Cache 9 MB
Memory per object 2.4 MB
Remove from Memory after 10 min
Number of objects cached 20
Box checked for load at startup.

Do you suggest any changes? I think I won't change anything unless it bogs down again.

I am very happy that OO.o is loading faster, even if I don't understand it.

If someone can help me get the <expletive expurgated> spelling checker to work again I'll be even happier. But since have the LanguageTool installed, I imagine that's a separate post, to Lingucomponent ...

With Warmest Regards
David Teague