At 15:26 16/03/2009 -0700, John Jason Jordan wrote:
Suppose I am in a table in Writer and I want to use tabs. No go. Tab takes me to the next cell. The only formatting options I can use are justification.

I must be the world's worst searcher of Help files because every search I have tried has failed to come up with anything even close to "formatting in cells."

If you are, then so am I: it's just taken me some minutes to find anything - even when I knew the answer I was looking for! If you go to "shortcut keys;in text documents" and scroll down to "Shortcut Keys for Tables in OpenOffice.org Writer", you will see:

Ctrl+Tab Inserts a tab stop (only in tables). Depending on the Window Manager in use, Alt+Tab may be used instead.

(Actually, it doesn't insert a tab stop - does it? - but rather a tab character.)

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker