At 08:03 18/03/2009 +1000, Jean Hollis Weber wrote:
Brian Barker wrote:
Ctrl+Tab Inserts a tab stop (only in tables). Depending on the Window Manager in use, Alt+Tab may be used instead. (Actually, it doesn't insert a tab stop - does it? - but rather a tab character.)

Different terminology for the same thing. The term "tab stop" is probably more familiar (or has more meaning) to more people than the technical term "tab character".

Surely not? If I click on the horizontal ruler or enter values on the Tabs tab of the paragraph or paragraph style dialogue, I can choose a position where text will align vertically. That's what I call inserting a tab stop - and that's what the help text (sometimes) calls this. Pressing Tab (or here Ctrl+Tab) inserts a character which has the effect of advancing to the next tab stop. It's surely confusing to give this process the same name?

Brian Barker