----- Original Message -----
From: "Uwe Fischer" <uwe.fisc...@sun.com>
To: <users@openoffice.org>
Sent: Friday, March 27, 2009 6:08 AM
Subject: Re: [users] Standalone Help Files

http://documentation.openoffice.org/online_help/helpers/helpauthoring/guide/OOo2HelpAuthoring.pdf

> Mind that the help source files are no "bizarre help format" but use
> well defined XML formats that can be opened and viewed with every text
> editor.

XML!  Well I'm not too familiar with that but I know of it. That helps right
there. Of course the standard Windoze help files are HTML based.
Unfortunately this wasn't obvious to me. I do appreciate your polite
response after the recent messages I have been receiving. Thank you so much.

> While most of the "standard" formats that you list are
> proprietary formats developed by a Company That Must Not Be Named(TM)
> here. You will even not be able to open a "standard" .chm help file on
> their latest operating system Vista.

I purchased a used machine with WinXP some time ago, only to be informed by
Microsoft that the key was stolen, which is why it didn't work.
It did include an actual license sticker for Win2K and there I stayed,
although I'm planning on upgrading to something less costly. I'm still
evaluating FreeBSD, Ubuntu and Slackware.

> For viewing the OOo help files, use the OOo Help Viewer. It's free.

Oh! Well I missed that altogether so I'll have to check it out.  Again thank
you very much for your help and kindness.

-Sean