On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 18:50:00 -0400
Came this utterance formulated by Ugly Me to my mailbox:

> How do you view help files outside of OOo?  As with a few other open
> source programs I have used, it uses some bizarre help format that is
> totally incompatible with the standard .hlp/.cnt/.fts  and .chm/.chw
> files that are easily viewed from the desktop or virtually any
> directory window by double clicking them.  I find this quite useful
> when trying to look up a reference prior to using a program.  This is,
> of course a standard in MS Windows - I don't know if there's a
> Linux/FreeBSD/Solaris equivalent.  Anyhow if there's a way to view the
> help files it would be of great help to me - who knows? Maybe even to
> others.  Thanks.

Locate the soffice.exe file in the "Program Files" directory using
Windows Explorer.
Try from a command line:-
"C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3.0\program\soffice.exe" -help
- The Path may vary with your version.
This should do what you want.

If it does, you can create a desktop icon by choosing one of the other
processes (like writer) from the Windows start menu "Start - (all)
programs- OpenOffice.org 3.0 - Writer".
Right click on this start menu entry and choose "Send to - Desktop
(create shortcut)".
Right click the new desktop icon and choose "Properties".
Edit the approprite property field to reflect our new command line
entry.
Click OK
Right click and "rename" the shortcut appropriately.
Test it still works

WARNING: Untested, i'm running on linux.

Some of the responses regarding hijacking have been a little over the
top and consequently the original intention of your post has been
sidetracked into yet another worthless discussion. It should have been
sufficient to give a small explanation of what hijacking is and why it
does not benefit anyone.
When i look at the mailing listguidelines, there is no requirement about
hijacking - other than the subheading "stay on topic". So i will explain
why it does not benefit either the list, the OP or hijacker.

 * Future searchability - many online archives will do a search by
subject, as a full body-text search is much longer to perform
(applies especially to moderate/high volume lists). If correctly
threaded then the search application only needs check the first post in
each thread for subject. Changed subjects will get missed.

 * It upsets people. Not so much because of the undesirability of
hijacking itself but because of the protracted flame wars that can
result.

 * It is a dis-service to the OP - s/he gets replies to their post which
are totally off topic. In paticular, on this thread, nobody has replied
to Loren's original question, instead everyone has become engrossed
in the side issue (sorry Loren, i cannot help with your question).

 * It will not benefit the hijacker - Many will have looked at the
original post, deciding if they can or cannot help and collapsed the
thread if they have no further interest in the thread - in which case
they do not see any future replies. The hijacker will then loose
valuable replies to the question because those that can help will not
see it.

--
Michael

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall
be well

 - Julian of Norwich 1342 - 1416