> As in all computer usage, knowing what to call things is a huge hindrance,
> not just for newbies.  When I worked in development at IBM, this was a daily
> concern.  In fact, given the number of computer languages there are and the
> number of ethnic languages there are, it's a wonder that any of it works at
> all.  So, somehow, we've managed to learn to communicate, despite the
> challenges.  That is why your "Googleing 'repeating list item open office'"
> produced no "hits."

Add to that the fact that in Hebrew, we call things differently than
is done in English. For instance, is "mudgash" (literally,
"emphasized") bold, highlighted, or selected? What would you call
"selected" when Hebrew has only "chosen", "emphasized", and "elected"?
Before the advent of computers, "bold" meant "brave", so should bold
text have been called "brave text" in Hebrew? Thus, although I check
the obviously problematic terms, so of the not-so-obvious ones slip
by.

> In OpenOffice, as in many other types of software, to find things (words,
> formats, etc.) we call that "pattern matching."  Therein lies the reason for
> my suggesting "regular expressions."  If you'll click on HELP, in any of the
> OpenOffice applications and search for "regular expressions," as well as
> Google for it, you can learn more about that helpful feature than you ever
> wanted to know!  It's not hard to use, just a little tricky; requiring GREAT
> attention to detail, character by character.  I suggest you copy and paste
> some text from some document and paste it into a new document called
> REGEXP_TESTING and commence experimenting with it.  Some mastery of its use,
> even though mastery is not totally complete, can be helpful to anyone.  As
> you achieve each "success," take a minute to record it in that same testing
> file and identify it with a meaningful phrase, meaningful to YOU.  This can
> be a tremendous help, especially when we're not looking for
>  the same patterns every day.  It helps to have a record of what we've
> learned so that we can refer to it the next time we need it.

A am familiar with PCRE's, but I don't think that they would have
helped me in this situation without seriously complicating things.

Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use
regular expressions." Now they have two problems.
 - Jamie Zawinski

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com