On 2009/04/19 9:25 PM  Brian Barker wrote:
At 15:39 19/04/2009 -0500, Barbara Duprey wrote:
On the home page of www.openoffice.org, click on "I want to download OpenOffice.org" and then (assuming you are using some form of Windows) on the "Download now!" link. (For other systems, and additional information, there is another link below that. You then would need to find the appropriate Download link in the table it provides.)

You seem to think that the web site always offers the Windows version by default. Are you sure? For what it's worth, I assumed that it auto-detects the user's operating system (from information provided by the browser) and offers the *appropriate* version. But I haven't tested this.

When you click on "I want to download OpenOffice.org" on the home page of www.openoffice.org it auto-detects the operating system you are using. I get the following:

   Download now!
   Start downloading OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 for Mac OSX Intel in US English

If this is true, there is a potential snag: a user who downloads the product, say, at work or at a friend's or in a library or internet cafe but for use at home is in danger of obtaining an inappropriate version without any explanation.

Only for people who don't or can't read. Right below the above message is:

   Get more _platforms and languages_,  _order CD-ROM_,  or _P2P downloads
   _

If the user wants a different platform than is auto-detected, they just have to click on _'platforms and languages_'.

--
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada