On 17/04/2009 17:07, Dave Post wrote:
On Apr 17, 2009, at 11:31 AM, Twayne wrote:

But ... since we're in the FYI department: The program will still
cleanly open your currently installed email client and allow you to send
mails.

Good point, and would be worth mentioning in responses to inquiries.

  Personally, due to the number of ymmv issues and opinions over email
clients I'd think an integrated email function might not get a lot of
use without having a gazillion setup options.

Agree.

Dave

I think there are a few reasons why people, particularly Windows people, want integrated mail:

   * Windows computers often come with Outlook (or Outlook Express)
     mail and MS Office pre-installed so people think they belong together.
   * Many versions of MS Office come with Outlook or Outlook Express so
     people think ...
   * Users of Outlook (but not of Outlook Express) have (used to
     have???) an option to configure Word as their "mail editor".  If
     you choose this option then, when you either create a new message
     or reply to an existing one Outlook invokes some sort of inbuilt
     version of Word (it probably uses the Word API). You type your
     message with all (most?) of Word's editing capabilities, including
     things like tables, but then you just hit Send. No separate
     document is saved. The Word window is within an Outlook window so
     things like your address book, Send button, space for Subject etc.
     are just there. Your mail "signature" , if defined, is
     automatically added.
   * Spell checking is integrated between Outlook (or Outlook Express)
     and Word.

I think it's a shame that OOo's spell checker can't integrate with, say, Thunderbird's. You used to be able to copy TB's dictionary into an OOo directory somewhere (or OOo's dictionary into a TB directory) but even that is no longer possible since the advent of OOo 3.x with its new scheme for handling dictionaries as extensions. Ho hum.

--
Harold Fuchs
London, England